Best Ways To Record Your Screen In Windows 10
Do you need to capture your screen for a presentation at work or record an important meeting? Unfortunately, using an external camera to capture what’s happening on your screen can be clunky and frustrating. Thankfully, there are a few excellent ways to record your screen in Windows 10. Keep reading to learn the different methods of screen recording Windows 10.
Record your screen with Windows 10 built-in screen recorder (Xbox Game Bar)
The Windows 10 comes with a pre-installed Game Bar, which was meant to help gamers keep track of their gaming performance, but you can also use it to record other things on your screen. It is available in new versions of Windows 10 and but if you don’t have it set up on your computer, you can download it from the Microsoft app store. Here’s how to record your screen with the Game Bar and access the captured file:
First, open the program you want to record and select it so it’s in focus.
· Press Windows + G. In the pop-up, select the ‘Yes, this is a game” to load the Game Bar.
· If the Game Bar overlay doesn’t appear, head over to Settings > Gaming > Xbox Game Bar to enable the Game Bar.
· Click on the Start Recording button (or Win + Alt + R) to begin capturing the video. Use the Turn Microphone On/Off to toggle the microphone if you wish.
· Use the same key combination to stop recording or simply tap the square to stop screen recording.
· After recording, the file will be saved as MP4 in your Videos/Captures folder.
Record your screen in Windows 10 using Zoom
Zoom has a built-in screen recording function that is relatively better than most of its competitors. For instance, all screen recordings on Skype disappear after 30 days, but with Zoom, your videos don’t go anywhere. You can record your screen in Windows 10 either as a host or as a participant. If you’re a meeting host, here’s how to do it:
· Launch the Zoom app on your PC.
· Set up a new Zoom meeting by clicking on the New Meeting icon.
· Find the Record button at the bottom of the screen and tap on it to start recording. The Zoom app should indicate ‘Recording.’
· Click the Stop button when you’re finished.
However, if you’re not the meeting host, you will need to request permission to record the screen. The record button won’t appear at all if the host hasn’t allowed recording. Follow these steps:
· Launch your Zoom app and connect to the meeting.
· Find the Manage Participants button at the bottom of the main screen and click it.
· A list of all the participants will be displayed. Find the host of the meeting and request permission to record.
· Click the Stop button to end the recording when you’re done. Your video will be saved on your computer, and you can also find it in the Meetings section of the app.
Record your screen in Windows 10 with Teams
Microsoft Teams allows users to record meetings without any hassles. The procedure is pretty straightforward, and here’s how to do it:
· Open the Teams app to start or join a meeting.
· Once you’re in the meeting, navigate to the top of the screen, click on ‘…’ and then tap on Start Recording.
· Note that everyone in the meeting will be notified when the recording has started.
· To end the recording, click on the ‘…’ again and select Stop Recording.
· Visit OneDrive or SharePoint to download, share or delete the video.
Record your screen with PowerPoint
If you’re a Microsoft Office user, you already have a program to create screencasts and not just presentations. Recording your screen with PowerPoint is relatively easy, and here’s how to do it:
· Launch Microsoft PowerPoint on your computer. Next, select the Insert tab and tap on Screen Recording.
· The screen dims white and renders a toolbar along your screen’s top center edge. Now choose the area you want to record with the Select Area tool.
· Using the crosshairs tool that appears, click and drag to select the part of your screen you want to record. Alternatively, press Windows + Shift + F to select the entire screen for recording.
· Note that PowerPoint records the audio and mouse pointer by default. If you don’t want them, you can uncheck them from the dock.
· Now click the Record button or press the Windows + Shift + R keys simultaneously. You can also use this shortcut to pause and resume recording.
· When you’re done, click the square Stop button or Windows + Shift + Q to end the recording.
· To save the recording on your computer, right-click on the video displayed within PowerPoint and select the Save Media As to name the video and click Save.
Record your screen with OBS Studio
Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) OBS is one of the most advanced, free screen recording software that allows you to record without a watermark or time limit. Here’s how to create a screen recording using OBS:
1. Download and install the software
Since the app doesn’t come pre-installed, you need to first download it. Go to https://obsproject.com/download
2. Set up the software
Once it is installed, launch the app. Select the gear icon, and a window will pop up to choose the type of display you want. Choose one and tap OK to close the window.
The next thing to do is to set up the audio source. Select File > Settings > Audio > Desktop Audio > Mic/Auxillary Audio. Choose your audio source and your microphone.
3. Record screen in OBS
Under the Controls menu at the lower right corner of the window, select Start Recording. When you’re finished, select Stop Recording and the video will be automatically saved to the videos folder of your Windows libraries.
Taking a screenshot on your computer is relatively quick and straightforward, but recording your screen in Windows 10 can seem a bit daunting. However, with the different methods above, you can screen record Windows 10 for free and without any difficulty. If you need support with Microsoft Teams, or Microsoft 365 contact us, we can help.